Purchasing a wheelchair van or having your own vehicle modified for your disabilities is costly. To help our veterans and service members with disabilities, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers financial assistance to purchase a new or used vehicle and/or have a vehicle adapted.

To purchase a vehicle

Service members and veterans may be eligible for a one-time payment of not more than $20,577.18 toward the purchase of an automobile or other conveyance if you have certain service-connected disabilities. The grant is paid directly to the seller of the automobile.

A veteran or service member must have one of the following disabilities to qualify:

  • loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both feet
  • loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both hands, or
  • permanent impairment of vision in both eyes to a certain degree

You may only receive the vehicle grant once in your lifetime.

To have a vehicle adapted

The VA will also pay to have a vehicle adapted. Those qualified for the automobile grant, plus veterans or service members with ankylosis (immobility of the joint) of one or both knees or hips resulting from an injury or disease incurred or aggravated by active military service, may also qualify for the adaptive equipment grant, which may be paid more than once.

Adaptive equipment includes, but is not limited to, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power seats, and special equipment necessary to assist the eligible person into and out of the vehicle. Contact your local VA medical center’s Prosthetic Dept. prior to purchasing any equipment.

For more information, call toll-free 1-800-827-1000 or visit the web site at http://www.va.gov.
This mobility update has been brought to you by NMEDA – the National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association. Need some information on how to make your vehicle wheelchair accessible or upgraded with the latest and most convenient features? Contact a NMEDA dealer in your local area. Your local NMEDA member is a mobility equipment and accessibility expert!

6 responses to “What Financial Options are Available for Veterans with Disabilities?

  1. My mother is the wife of an honorable discharged serviceman, does she qualify for this grant to get a handicap accessible vehicle? She is disabled and can’t walk & she can’t afford a vehicle! I’m asking because my husband and I are trying to take care of her and it’s very hard on us trying to lift her up in a vehicle! My husband and I are also both disabled & we need help to take care of my mother!

  2. Is there help for someone who had a stroke is confined to a wheelchair and served in the Navy