Financing Your Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle

Purchasing a wheelchair accessible vehicle can be expensive. Finding funding for these purchases can be a challenge, if you don’t know where to look. Fortunately, NMEDA dealers are specially trained to guide you to programs that may apply to you. Below are a few general options to research.

State Agencies

Every state has a Vocational Rehabilitation Program. These are state funded programs that assist disabled individuals to get back into or remain in the workplace. In some cases, they provide funding for vehicle modifications. Check with your mobility equipment dealer to help find local programs and third party funders.

US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

The VA funds mobility equipment for qualifying veterans. For additional information on available benefits, read more on their official site.

Charitable Organizations / Churches

Local organizations might be able to provide financial assistance to help you purchase a new or used wheelchair accessible vehicle, or at least help organize fundraising efforts. Explore your community for local options.

Mobility Rebate Programs

Many vehicle manufacturers (Ford, GM, Toyota, etc.) provide rebates to purchasers of new vehicles that require modifications for disabilities. Before making your purchase inquire with a NMEDA dealer about applicable rebates.

Special Finance Programs

A wide variety of programs are available for financing mobility vehicles including loans with extended terms, leasing packages and more. Please ask your NMEDA dealer for more information about the special programs they offer.


Contact all the people in your life and turn your need for a mobility solution into an outlet for socializing and creativity that can bring your whole community together. Get local news agencies involved by explaining what you’re trying to do and ask if they’d be interested in covering your story. Consider trying an online fundraising site like Help Hope Live or Go Fund Me.

Public Assistance

Depending on your disability and if you have a Social Security coming in, you may be eligible for the PASS program. If you need an accessible vehicle to go to school or your job, they may be able to help you.


There are several different organizations for each disabling ailment that provide information, support and resources to help assist those with specific conditions. For example, the National Multiple Sclerosis Society might help if you have MS or United Cerebral Palsy may be able to help if you have CP. You can also go through organizations like the Jaycees that don’t cover one particular disability but can help you apply for a grant to assist with your mobility needs.